We Are Water

We are Water

The first nine months of our life we spend immersed in water, protected and nurtured by and even breathing it in our mothers womb.

  • The human body consists of about 65% water. Blood is 92% water, the brain and muscles are 75% water, and bones are about 22% water.
  • A human can survive for a month or more without eating food, but only a few days without drinking water.
  • People feel thirsty when they have already lost around 2-3% of their body's water. Mental performance and physical coordination start to become impaired before thirst kicks in, typically around 1% dehydration.

Global Water

  • About 70.8% of the Earth's surface is covered by water.
  • About 97.5% of the water is saline, while the remaining 2.5% is fresh water.
  • Most fresh water, about 68.7%, is locked in ice.
  • Only about 1.2% of all freshwater (which was only 2.5% of all water) is surface water, which serves most of life's needs.
  • In essence, only 0.007 percent of the planet's water is available to fuel and feed its 7.3 billion people.

 

Be the change you wish to see in the world” Mahatma Gandhi